Fineness, or particle size of portland cement affects hydration rate and thus the rate of strength gain. The smaller the particle size, the greater the surface area-to-volume ratio, and thus, the more area available for water-cement interaction per unit volume. The effects of greater fineness on strength are generally seen during the first seven days (PCA, 1988).
Standard Test Methods
- AASHTO T 98 and ASTM C 115: Fineness of Portland Cement by the Turbidimeter.
- AASHTO T 128 and ASTM C 184: Fineness of Hydraulic Cement by the 150-mm (No. 100) and 75-mm (No. 200) Sieves
- AASHTO T 153 and ASTM C 204: Fineness of Hydraulic Cement by Air Permeability Apparatus
- AASHTO T 192 and ASTM C 430: Fineness of Hydraulic Cement by the 45-mm (No. 325) Sieve
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures, 13th edition. Portland Cement Association. Skokie, IL.↵