Please copy/paste the following text to properly cite this Pavement Interactive article:
"About Us" 2 November 2011. http://www.pavementinteractive.org <http://www.pavementinteractive.org/about-us/> 23 May 2015
Welcome to Pavement Interactive. This website is an information resource for the pavement community. It provides a ready reference on common paving topics, the ability to look up typical methods and practices, and links to additional resources. The following subsections describe the target audience and intended function of Pavement Interactive.
In a broad sense, Pavement Interactive is motivated by the desire to assist those both inside and outside the pavement community including contractors, government agencies, private consultants as well as future industry members. As a result, it is applicable to a broad range of potential users including engineers, architects, technicians, equipment operators, inspectors, managers, college/vocational students and, of course, the general public.
The purpose of Pavement Interactive is to create a knowledge base and help users educate themselves about pavement topics. In particular, it can help users learn about pavements in two ways:
- By providing a multimedia, interactive reference that will benefit those who want information on pavements.
- By providing a self-directed learning tool on pavements. Articles are arranged in logical order so a user could read through them as they might in a text or short course.
Pavement Interactive is an extensive pavement reference. Users can browse or use the search tool to look up typical values, methods, practices and resources. It can also be used to assemble multimedia pavement presentations or lectures through simple cut-and-paste of text, pictures, videos and animation.
Self-Directed Learning Tool
Pavement Interactive can also be used as a self-directed learning tool. The term “self-directed learning” refers to learning and teaching methods that rely on the direction and guidance of the learner such as distance learning, and learning from computers or video. As a learning tool, Pavement Interactive is designed to provide you with:
- A broad and well-rounded introduction to pavement in the areas of pavement types, materials, design considerations, mix design, structural design, construction, quality assurance, specifications, evaluation, maintenance and rehabilitation, and pavement management.
- The option to explore in-depth information where applicable. This is done by the use of detailed technical information and specific content generated by PTC Members.
- The option to investigate other sources of information on the Web or in print form through the use of extensive references.
After covering a pavement concept in Pavement Interactive, you should, in general, be able to:
- Describe the pavement concept covered
- Describe the importance of this concept
- Describe when this concept applies
- Describe the typical equipment, methods and procedures used
- Discuss and interpret typical measurement values encountered
- Apply this concept in actual practice